Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Travelin' Light!

So, I decided to enter this month's BGDF showdown, Travelin' Light #2 It's been a couple of months since I've entered, as my time has been taken up with PocketCiv (which now I'm convinced I need a new name for, as it has grown beyond my original pocket inclinations).

And since I'm in the showdown this month, I feel the requirement to vote. Once you get away from all the pretty pictures, I feel that most people completely missed the boat on the whole purpose of the contest, which is to design a game that's playable while sitting in the back seat of a car, or flying in a plane. Well, at least that's what I feel is the main goal.

Not wanting to tip my hat as to which is my entry, but there are quite a few entries with many components; pawns, a board, and cards. Passing a board back and forth between players without jostling the peices (yes, even if they are magnetic) is difficult, especially when you are holding a handful of cards which your opponent cannot see. Oh, and don't forget not to knock over the discard pile!

It seems like most people simply stuck in the rules a quip about their board being able to fold down into a small box, thereby meeting the small size requirement, and went off from there with whatever game they wanted to do. Sorry, I'm not letting you guys off this easy this time!!

I'll be interesting in the voting results. Well, aside from seeing if I won, but it will be interesting to see how many people took the "playable while traveling" into account during the voting process.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home